March 28, 2011

CHerry Blossom 2011

Every year Washington DC has a National Cherry Blossom festival. I have never been to it, and I have lived in the D.C. area for about 5 years now. I figured it was time to do so. My mom joined me, and we walked along the tidal basin enjoying the pretty trees and the blossoms.

Here is a brief history:
Each year, the National Cherry Blossom Festival commemorates the 1912 gift of 3,000 cherry trees from Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo to the city of Washington, DC. The gift and annual celebration honor the lasting friendship between the United States and Japan and the continued close relationship between the two countries.

Here are some of the pictures I snagged!


The Capitol building. You can hardly see it with all the blossoms!!!




I love the pink ones!


Down at the Tidal Basin



One of the favorite pictures I took.


Mom  enjoying the festivites!!



No comments: