September 9, 2010

Maine: Part 1

About 3 weeks ago, I (Melissa) went to Maine. Jack was working, and I had a friend from work tag along! I just love Maine! There is something about that state that just makes my spirit feel so free, and like it is home. My reasons for going: I wanted to go to Maine,  and I wanted to go hiking. The Appalachian Trail runs from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine.

The drive from Bowie, MD (my house) to Millinocket, ME (baxter state park area). About 13 hours.....according to Google Maps. Not including, gas stop, food stop, traffic, and a quick nap stop. We left at 2am from MD, and arrived in Millinocket at about 4:30pm. We were making great time. I made it to NYC before traffic in less than 4 hours. My car made it all the way to Connecticut before I needed gas ( LOVE MY LITTLE CAR). Stopped into Portland Me for a quick lunch then back to driving. About 700+ miles later, we arrive.

Not much in the little town, so grabbed so dinner, and it was an early night for us....

My goal? Hike the last 5 miles of the Appalachian Trail and summit Mt. Katahdin. I had no idea what I was in for! The adventure began at 2 am on August 26th.......
Where we stayed. There aren't very many lodging options in the remote areas of Maine.
This one wasn't too bad


Stading by the sign at the trailhead at 7am. Pumped and ready to go!

The trail got harder as you went.....lots and lots of rocks!

You want me to climb to the top of that???

Knife's edge in the clouds....another trail.... very narrow and hard trail leading to the summit. 

View from the top!

With the famous sign at the summit of Mt. Katahdin

taking a break....

All done !!! only took 9 hours!

Mt. Katahdin in the distance

The climb to the top of the summit took about 5 hours, and goign down took about 4. It was one of the hardest things I have ever accomplished. But it was so rewarding. It makes me want to conquer the whole trail!

Next stop? Bar Harbor!

1 comment:

Grace Elliott said...

I'm in the fourth grade and was looking for a Katahdin picture for a project and found your site. It looks like you had fun. I hope to go this summer.

~ Gracie in Belgrade Maine