April 22, 2011

Strong is the new Skinny

I recently have had no motivation to workout. I always have the intention to work out, but then I end up reading a book and sitting on the couch. 4 hours later, its time to get ready for bed, no work out. I have a gym membership, but it doesn't get much use. I used to swim in college, so I had an amazing working out routine, and I followed out. Mostly because I didn't have a choice, but I also had a team working out with me. That was 6+ years ago. My workout ethics have since then changed.

A few months ago I saw the Insanity workouts, and wanted to try it. 60 days= awesome body they say. So i bought it off of ebay, and waited for its arrival. It consists of a workout calender, diet plan (which I didn't follow) multiple workout DVDs, and just a strong workout ethic and not quitting.  I won't lie, that first week SUCKED. I sweat more in 30 mins than I did at an hour at the gym.

It was still hard, but I was able to build a tolerance. I felt better, and didn't feel as crappy. I finished. And now I have restarted it. I didn't lose any weight which I was bummed about, but I toned up. I definitely do not look like the girls on the video, but I am happy I am in better shape. I still eat what I want, but try to keep it on the healthier side. I opt to have a fruit smoothie for breakfast instead of a pop-tart, opt eating whole grain bread to not have white bread, drink less soda. I still have areas on my body that need work, but I have my work cut out for me. I have much better abs though!

I can't live on ideals on society, skinny models, and other people. I am now realizing, I do not need to be a size 00. I am 27, and not 17. I'm not the same as I was 10 years ago. I can rock out a few pull ups, workout non-stop for an hour, still have that bowl of occasional ice cream and not feel guilty. I have never been built to be skinny and wispy. It was never my body type. Being an athlete most of my life has shaped me in that way. I don't think it is physically possible for me to be under 120lbs. I can proudly say I weigh 125-127lbs. And that is ok.  Being a size 3-5 is just fine. I know I am in good health and shape.  I don't need to prove myself to anyone. Strong is the new Skinny!



No comments: